Many of you have probably seen this video. Everyone has been sharing it on facebook. It. Is. Amazing!!!! You have to watch it.
I am not a regular viewer of the Today Show. I also do not know much about Frank Gifford. I had heard of him. I had seen him on TV here and there, but didn’t know his “famous” story. The only thing I really knew about the two of them…and that was just a rumor..was that they had a home in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. (I lived there once for a short period. I used to walk by their house for exercise.)
But this story on the Today Show…rather, this testimony…is simply amazing. Here is why I think so…
- NO ONE shares their CHRISTIAN faith on national TV. It might offend someone. It’s the one religion you can’t talk about…or so it seems. But she does a beautiful job of sharing his legacy. The real legacy was his faith, not his football trophies.
- He knew what it was to be poor. “He ate dog food and he was grateful to have it.” (Click to Tweet) Can we even imagine? We want our kids to have this amazing character, but there is simply no way for them to know a lifestyle that breeds the kind of character we hope they have. Thank goodness, right? But, the lessons learned are invaluable.
- He was a grateful human being. How many truly grateful people do you know? We all say we are grateful, but are we really? There is always something stealing our joy and contentment. Business make their living keeping us non-content, scared of what might happen, worried.
- “His world got smaller as his God got bigger.” (Tweet this) #humbled Do. We. Even. Get. That??? That is what the Christian faith is suppose to do for us. His peace silences the big bad world.
- They went to the Holy Land! Really? Hollywood folks went to the Holy Land? Who knew this was even on their radar or of any importance to them?
- “Frank came back with a new perspective.” I have never been to Jerusalem, but I’ve heard the testimonies of many who have. Each person comes back different. They all say it really makes the bible come alive. It’s overwhelming…I hear.
- “Where are you going to throw your stone for the kingdom of God?” (Tweet this) #convicted This really spoke to my heart. Where am I throwing my stone??
- “If you are going to leave a legacy for your children, teach them friendship with God.” This statement just came out of someone’s mouth who speaks on national TV daily. I’m amazed, convicted, I want to cry… not because I’m sad but because I’m reminded of what an awesome God we serve! I’m amazed that his people are all around us and yet we didn’t even know!
- “Transform this hurting world that needs God so much.” Is this church? Because it might just be the best 8 minute sermon I’ve ever heard.
- “Spend the rest of your life trying to throw it well.” #encouraged
- The best statement… “He never had an entitled moment in his life.” (Tweet this) That is the mentality that built America. If I had to point my finger at one thing killing this country, it would be entitlement. Too many take and don’t contribute. But, even more than that, people who have the means to give, give to much…to their kids, to their grandkids… breeding the entitlement mentality. The greatest generation did amazing things because they knew what it was to have nothing. They made something out of nothing.
This testimony really touched me, and from the number of shares, I think it touched many others. Please continue to pray for this sweet sister in Christ. But, even more, I hope you throw your stone far for the Kingdom of God.
God Bless You!