When the cat is away the mice will…bake!
Yep, that is what went down tonight. There hasn’t been much baking lately. My husband asked me to stop because he has been watching his weight.
He was gone a while back, and I saw this recipe on Facebook so…why not, right? Who can resist this? This cake has a german chocolate base and an ooey gooey middle. Or, at least that is how mine came out! The original recipe came from The First Year. She baked her cake longer and the middle was more firm.
Spread the coconut, chocolate and pecans on the bottom of the 9×13 pan. Note my picture is missing the pecans. Someone in my house is really putting a damper on my pecan addiction.
Next mix the cake mix, egg, oil and water in a mixer. Pour that over your coconut concoction. This next step involves using the stove. I’m really great at melting butter! But melting cream cheese is new for me. Notice it kinda takes on a cottage cheese texture. Next, measure out a pound of powdered sugar. I never know how much that is so I used this handy little scale the husband purchased. (My bowl weighed a pound by itself so that is why mine says 2lbs!) I stirred mine in with a whisk, but I recommend using the mixer! It would have been much easier. Either way, it’s all going to bake up nicely so no need to stress over it. Pour it over the cake and swirl it in. Mine quickly sank to the bottom.
I did not swirl with a knife as suggested, so I didn’t get as pretty of a swirl as the original recipe. Bake that bad boy at 350 for 30-40 minutes! Yum yum! Now, we have to eat this before the hubby returns!!
The cake cooked up perfect, but the middle was really runny at first. But the second day it soaked in and held together great! It was still very moist several days later. It was yum yum!
[recipe title=”Earthquake Cake”] Ingredients
- 1 box German Chocolate Cake Mix (do not prepare as directed on box, prepare as directed below)
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup coconut shredded
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup butter (real butter)
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 pound powdered sugar (about 3 and 3/4 cups)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with Pam. (I forgot this step! oops.)
- Sprinkle the coconut, chocolate chips, and pecans on the bottom of the pan.
- Mix the cake mix with the oil, eggs, and water.
- Pour the cake mix on top of the coconut/chocolate chip/pecan layer.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and cream cheese.
- Beat in 1 pound of powdered sugar with the butter/cream cheese.
- Pour this mixture on top of the uncooked mixture, and swirl into the cake mix using a knife.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes. It is done when it doesn’t wobble in the pan if you shake it. Inserting a knife will not work because of the gooey middle.