If I had to pick one dessert that I make the most often, this would be it. Chocolate chip cookies! They seem to be everyone’s favorite, and they don’t last long at our house.
When I was younger, everytime I made these cookies they came out different. Sometimes they tasted like flour. Other times they would run all over the pan. And sometimes they came out perfect. I never knew what I was doing wrong.
But, with age comes wisdom! Below are my no-fail secrets. They come out perfect every time!
- I always use half butter and half butter-flavored Crisco. I don’t use one or the other, but both!
- Don’t melt the butter! Use room temperature butter. If it is cold, heat it for 10-15 seconds in microwave just until it is slightly soft.
- If you do melt the butter, let it cool completely. And you may still need to refrigerate your dough before baking.
- Don’t grease the pan! Use parchment paper. Once you do this you will never go with a naked pan again! (Or you can purchase a baking sheet.)
- Vanilla. Whatever recipe you choose, double the vanilla! ? Vanilla makes everything better!
- Make sure your recipe calls for baking soda not powder. Powder = puffy!
- Set a timer. Every oven is different and you can’t trust your memory. There are too many distractions in the world. Set the timer for 10-12 minutes.
- Unless you have a really awesome oven, cook one sheet of cookies at a time. And cook them in the middle of the oven. One tray/level of cookies will cook faster and more consistent than stacking.
- The world has totally bought into the semi-sweet chocolate chip. I beg you to give the milk chocolate chip a try. It will bless you.
- This one is personal preference, but if you have this option…fresh eggs are always best!
Now you know my secrets! Get to baking the perfect cookie and your friends and family will love you forever!
- 1/2 cup of butter flavored Crisco
- 1/2 cup of butter – room temperature
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour (level, not heaping)
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 – 1 bag of milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix butter, crisco and both sugars until blended. I use the dough hook on my mixer.
- Mix in one egg at a time.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Mix flour, salt and soda in a separate bowl. Slowly add to the wet mixture until well combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips and pecans.
- Drop onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. This helps the cookie hold its shape and keep from sticking, but is not required.
- Bake 9-13 minutes. Less for a softer cookie…more for a crunchy cookie.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 2-5 minutes.
- Remove cookies with a spatula and place on a cooling rack.
- Store cooled cookies in air tight container for maximum freshness.
- This recipe makes 3 dozen cookies…depending on how much dough you eat!